User experience is about making complex actions simple and easier to understand for the user so action be performed intuitively quickly and efficiently. it’s about eliminating need for training, help files long descriptions.
Cancer is such a problem. Millions are spent on cancer prevention and reducing the deaths. But if the cancer can be detected early and surgery can be performed quickly efficiently and without follow up surgeries and complications it will save alot of lives. (yes there are always exceptions).
Colour coded text books etc often used to teach about anatomy make it easier to understand. However in real life it’s completely different ball game. However this gives an insight in to solution to enhance the surgery experience and allow surgery to be conducted quickly and efficiently.
Quyen Nguyen’s a brilliant talk at TEDMed talks about using fluorecent markers to identify tumours. From outlook it seems it’s all biology. But infact the solution is based on user experience principles. Make it simple quick and efficient to perform the task and save lives.
Can lessons of user experience help tackle most pressing medical problems? yes it can
It’s been exactly a month since I update this space. A lot of things been happening with me. Working backwards from today.
- Three Spears – The first ever project the guys took on will be done dusted by end of the week 😀
- NHS Choices User council – last meeting was today. This is now cease to exist but they are doing more awesome stuff so I will be jumping on them
- Perl coursework – due in few days time but for once I am prepared and I have set my milestones so far I’ve managed to stick them. I think for once breaking the habbit I will be able to finish them sooner than I think.
- Networking – I’ve met some of the coolest people on the planet last week at 2 awesome events. More of that will be in the coming days (as soon as I get through my coursework)
- Movember – I got a bad ass mo 😀 and I’m stuck with it for 2 months because of a promise I made… I need to finish up the site.
- InDesign – Yes added it to my arsenal of weapons 😀
- Personal site and blog – Started drawing up mock up for this. I am using wordpress.com as a matter of convenience somewhere to temporarily hold my thoughts and portfolio till I get up and running.
- Twitter – I am a sceptic about the social media (yes it’s ironic considering my job) But I started using more and more. It IS useful 🙂
Time is very precious but I think this time around I am more disciplined how I spend time and how I am allocating time to managing my priorities.
I’m quite chuffed today. Last night I got an invite to forrst.com. Been waiting for that for a long time. Up goes some of my previous design snippet from projects I worked on.
I woke up in the morning to find. Green badge got 5 likes and BL event got 2 likes :D. Didn’t expect that all. It was nice to get feedback on the designs.
And the bonus was I got 48 unique visits to my blog last 10hrs
Definitely gonna try and put up snaps everyday.